Mary Jane's Bean Pot Soup
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 9 cloves)
- 2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 10 cups water
- 1 (20 ounce) package 15 bean mix, soaked overnight according to package directions
- 1 meaty ham bone (or 14 oz. pkg. smoked sausage, sliced)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; saute the onion, celery, garlic, jalapenos, and carrots for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the 10 cups water, the soaked and drained beans, ham bone (or sausage) tomatoes, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil over high heat; lower heat, and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- *Soup can be made up to 4 days in advance and refrigerated; it can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To serve, reheat and add water or stock if it has become too thick.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!