Maritime Style Corn Chowder
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 kg potato
- 14 slices bacon, cooked & chopped
- 680 ml creamed corn
- 680 ml canned corn (preferrably peaches and cream)
- 370 ml evaporated milk
- 125 ml milk (or cream)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- Peel and dice potato into 2 cm cubes. Cook in salt water for about 5 minutes, or until they are slightly cooked with still some firmness. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, brown bacon then dice or crumble, reserving two slices for garnish. Crumble reserved slices and set aside. Note if you are using reduced salt, add a couple extra slices to the pan for extra flavour.
- Drain off most of the bacon grease from the pan, reserving a little. Fry potatos and onions in bacon grease until onions have softened and started to become translucent. Poor into a crockpot. Add remaining ingredients to the crockpot except for the reserved two slices of bacon.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. If you are placing the crock pot on to cook while at work, do preparation work the night before and refrigerate. If you doing this recipe on stove top, simmer for about 40 - 45 minutes, stirring every four or five minutes to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Serve with a sprinkle of bacon and diced green onions as garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>What can I say? I have been dabbling in the Kitchen for about thirty years and have gone from making Kraft Dinner to preparing international cuisine. Though my cooking skills are far from perfect, I have had a few compliments on the meals that I have provided. I enjoy cooking especially when cooking for friends. I have chosen to post my favourite recipes here on Recipezaar for those who wish to make them and for the friends who keep asking for them! Enjoy!</p>