Mario Batali's Risotto Al Zucca: Squash Risotto
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small acorn squash or 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced 1/4 inch
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, hot
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- In a 12 to 14-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and squash cooking until the onions have softened and are translucent but not browned 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until toasted and opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine to the toasting rice, and then add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed.
- Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed. Portion risotto into 4 warmed serving plates, serving with extra cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!