Great way to end a romantic dinner or, maybe, made special for Mother's Day. The longer it sits, the more flavor the vodka will extract from the berries. Adapted from "A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories," by April Bloomfield with J.J. Goode. Chill time required.
- Ready In:
- 2 pints strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved if large
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons thick balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 3 -4 twists fresh black pepper
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 -2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Combine strawberries, vodka, lemon zest, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in large bowl. Use a small knife to scrape seeds of the vanilla bean into the bowl, and add 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir gently but thoroughly. Give a taste. You might need more sugar if your strawberries aren't that sweet. If you do, add it gradually, tasting as you do.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let chill (give an occasional stir) at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.