Marinade: Grilled Chicken With Lemongrass & Chilli
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 26mins
- 1⁄4 cup lemongrass, see above
- 6 slices lemon zest, strips fresh (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced crushed
- 2 -3 shallots, minced
- 2 red chilies, minced
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar (more or less, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Vietnamese) or 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1 kg fish fillets or 1 kg vegetables
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- To prepare the chicken, cut it 7 cm by 7 cms and cut several small incisions across the chicken to soak up the marinade.
- Combine marinade and meat (or vegetables) then toss.
- You can either place it in a zip lock bag or just use a bowl with cling wrap.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours, turning occasionally. (I marinated mine overnight).
- Remove meat from the marinade and grill until cooked and brown. Discard leftover marinade (if there are any of the ingredients left on the meat or vegetables as it may taste bitter if you decide to leave them on).
- Traditionally it's grilled on an outdoor grill so that the coals are white-hot but I used our barbeque.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce with Vietnamese fish sauce to dip. Side dish of rice or salad.
Join The Conversation
Dear Chef, I have not eaten any Lemon Grass grilled chicken with chilli, that's very interesting. I will blend all the ingredients in the blender with the serai / lemongrass , just remove the hardest part and slice the stem finely -- only the white part of the lemongrass. I will add in 1 cup of water to blend all the ingredients ( 1 cup of water to 1 kg of meat ) as it will be much more juicer when deep fry or grill. I have a Airfryer, so will fry it with it. Thanks for sharing.