Mardi Gras Catfish Gumbo
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced okra, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb catfish fillet, tilapia or, white fish fillets, cut in 1-inch chunks
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Heat oil in a large, heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, okra, corn, bay leaf, thyme, salt if desired, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in fish and cover. Cook, stirring gently 2 or 3 times, until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season with hot sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!