Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread (Vegan)
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
8 1-inch slices
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup almond milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons boiling water, divided
- Prepare boiling water, no need to measure yet. Also, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl until relatively smooth. It should take 3 average sized ones, but spoon the mashed ‘nanas into a measuring cup to make sure, then return to the mixing bowl. Beat in the sugar, canola oil, milk and vanilla.
- Now add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently mix just to incorporate. It’s okay if there is some flour still visible, just be careful not to overmix at this point.
- Scoop one cup of the batter up and transfer it to a separate mixing bowl. Now, in a small tea cup mix the cocoa powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water and stir vigorously with a fork until the chocolate is dissolved. Add this chocolate mixture to the one cup of banana and mix until the chocolate is thoroughly smooth and incorporated.
- Now back to the original plain banana batter; add 3 tablespoons of boiling water and mix the batter just until relatively smooth. (Unless your batter is already moist enough, then skip the extra water.).
- Here comes the fun part, it’s time to marble! Lightly grease an 8×4 loaf pan. Scoop alternate 1/2 cupfuls of chocolate/banana batter into the loaf pan. Nothing has to be precise here, in fact, the more random, the better. Once all of the batter is in, take a butter knife and swirl it through the batter in circular directions for about 10 seconds.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Use a butter knife to test for doneness. Let cool and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My kids loved this recipe. Really easy to make... my girls did most of the work. We changed the recipe into muffins, because we have a birthday coming up and there is a little girl coming who is allergic to eggs. Followed directions as written, then divided into muffin tin and baked somewhere between 18-22 minutes. Thanks!!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a recipe junkie and collect way too many cookbooks. But when it's time to actually make something, I quickly turn to the internet... I started avoiding meat more than 20 years ago for environmental reasons. (It takes so many resources and the pollution risks of confinement operations are huge.) I've been vegan for years now and can report that the health benefits are also real. I really don't understand why people insist on eating meat