The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup maple sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 300°; lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans; sprinkle each pan with 1 tablespoon of the maple sugar.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter, salt, regular sugar, ½ cup maple sugar, maple extract, and vanilla; then beat in the flour.
- Divide the dough in half and press it into the prepared pans, smoothing surface with your fingers.
- Sprinkle each round with 1 tablespoon of the remaining maple sugar, pressing it in gently.
- Prick the dough with a fork in an attractive pattern.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until it is golden brown around the edges.
- Remove it from the oven and loosen the edges with a heat-resistant plastic knife or table knife.
- Wait 5 minutes, then carefully turn the shortbread out onto a clean work surface, all in one piece.
- Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut each round into 12 wedges (do this while the shortbread is still warm; if you wait until it is cool, it will not cut easily).
- Transfer the wedges to a rack to cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is quick to put together, and is a lovely change from the traditional shortbread. Don't get me wrong....I *love* the old standby. :) I was making recipe #403830, and since I had the maple sugar figured I might as well give this version a try too. I'll be keeping this around. Thanks for posting.Reply