Manzapades (Lemon Marzipan)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Put the lemon peels in a bowl with water to cover. Let soak for 2 days, changing the water every 3 to 4 hours thru the day and evening.
- On the third day, rinse the peels and put into a large saucepan with water to cover. Place over low heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, until peels are very soft.
- Remove from the heat and mash to a pulp or pulse in a food processor. You should have about one cup of pulp.
- Return pulp to large saucepan and add the ground almonds and 2 cups granulated sugar. Mix well and place over low heat. Stir often with a wooden spoon. Cook until the mixture thickens and starts peeling away from the pan sides.
- Remove from the heat and pour onto a chilled marble slab or chilled platter. Let cool.
- When cool, spread the powdered sugar onto a separate plate. Kneed the mixture a little and them pinch off pieces the size of hazelnuts. Roll them into balls and then roll in the powdered sugar.
- Put onto a large platter and when finished making balls, dust the marzipan again with the powdered sugar.
- Let the marzipan rest for 24 hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!