Mango and Chilli Sorbet
- Ready In:
1 1/4-1 1/2 litres
- 500 g very ripe fresh mango pulp (flesh of approx 3 medium mangoes)
- 20 -40 ml lemon juice
- 150 g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 150 ml water
- 1 egg white
- 1 small medium-hot hot chili pepper, deseeded
- In a small stainless steel saucepan, stir the sugar and water with a wooden spoon. Heat on medium until the sugar has dissolved, then boil the mixture for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. (This can be done ahead of time and the resulting syrup kept in a tightly sealed container in the fridge.).
- Chop the chilli very finely, then thoroughly bruise in a small mortar and pestle.
- Place the mango flesh, sugar mixture (syrup) and chilli in a blender. Use the lemon juice to rinse the last little bit of chilli juice from the mortar and pestle and add that to the blender too.
- Blend the mango mixture until smooth.
- Beat the egg white in a large bowl until almost stiff.
- Stir the mango mixture into the egg white until well mixed.
- Freeze the sorbet in an icecream maker. Remove from the icecream maker when thick and store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 days (the fewer the better).
- The sorbet may need to stand at room temperature for a few minutes before serving, but this time will be minimised if the sorbet is made less than a day before it will be served.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!