photo by GaylaJ
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Shake first 6 dressing ingredients in a jar and refrigerate.
- Stir almonds and sugar in a small pan over medium heat until sugar melts and starts to caramelize and almonds are very lightly toasted.
- Scrape into metal bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Break up and store covered at room temperature.
- Just before serving, put chopped lettuces in a large bowl.
- Add celery, oranges, onions and almonds.
- Shake dressing well and pour over salad.
- Toss to mix and coat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 89 more reviews
Excellent salad just like my Mom makes! I use a bunch of scallions instead of red onion because that's how she makes it and used 2 tsp dried parsley. Next time I'll up the salt a little in the dressing and reduce the amount of almonds and celery a little. This can easily be halved (it is in my mom's Sunset recipe). Such a fab recipe! Thanks, Marie!
This is a really excellent recipe. I used light olive oil for the oil, and substituted pecans for the almonds, because that's what I had on hand. also omitted celery because I don't like it. The result was fabulous, the dressing was a perfect mix of tangy and sweet. I have company coming tomorrow and am making it again, only a week after making it the first time.
I did a few changes but basically this is a delicious recipe. I used red wine vinegar instead of cider, I left out the parsley, hot pepper sauce and celery and I added some red and yellow bell pepper and strawberries. I had to go back for seconds. My son who hardly eats salad loved this. It is definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing.
see 4 more tweaks
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in upstate New York. I am retired and now have time to enjoy my children, my grandchildren and great grandchildren.