Manakeesh Bil Za'atar (Flat Bread With Za'atar)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
For the bread dough
- 500 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- about 310ml hand-hot water
For the Zaatar spice mix
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
You will also need
- 4 -6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To make the dough, sift the flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add in the water and knead till the dough has come together leaving the sides of the bowl clean.
- Transfer onto a clean work surface and knead for about 10 minutes till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Lightly grease the bowl and transfer the dough into the bowl and cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place till it has doubled in bulk, for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7/425F/220°C.
- Put 2 large oiled baking sheets in the oven to heat.
- Knock the air out of the dough and knead again for about 2 minutes.
- Divide into 8 portions and roll each ball between your palms until smooth and round.
- Flour the work surface and flatten each round with a rolling pin until it is circular, even, and about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover and leave in a warm place to rise for 20 more minutes.
- Brush the tops of the discs with a little olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for the zaatar spice mix and add in the remaining oil and give it a good mix.
- Spread the oil-zaatar mixture over the surface of each bread.
- Slide the bread onto the hot baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Ohhhlalala, so delicious! Taste is perfect! Exactly what I would buy from the old city with the delicious zaatar topping. Since I already had zaatar, all I had to do was make the dough which I find myself adding a little bit more flour to be able to work with the mixture. I should have made more since it didn't last so I'll be making this again today doubling the mixture this time! Thank you for sharing Aaliyah's mum :)