Mama's Seafood Gumbo
I'm posting this for safe keeping. My mama makes the best gumbo I have ever tasted. I haven't known anyone who didn't think this was the best!! It does not require a roux, as many gumbo recipes do. I usually double this recipe and freeze.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 tablespoons Crisco cooking oil
- 1 lb okra, fresh (if using frozen okra, cook in the microwave for about 15 min., drain, then fry)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 quarts water
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 dozen oyster (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Fry okra in oil for 30-45 minute.
- Add onions and celery and cook until soft.
- Stir in tomato sauce, parsley, bay leaf, thyme and water. Simmer 30 minute.
- Add shrimp, crabmeat and oysters. Simmer another 30 minute.
- NOTE: This is better if cooked in the morning and allowed to stand. Serve over rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Gumbo literally means Okra Stew, so the 2 main ingredients are always Okra & a Roux. otherwise you probably have a really good Soup. But it is not a Gumbo. I think I am going to go find my MawMaws recipe book. that recipe has been passed down to all the daughters in the family since before the civil War. and I might just post it for yall. we make either Seafood Gumbo Or Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.2Replies 1