Mama's Salsa Recipe
photo by Tandy Higgins
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 45mins
- 12 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper, crushed
- 3 cups green peppers, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- Sprinkle pickling salt over chopped tomatoes and onions and let stand overnight.
- In the morning drain all liquid from the veggies and place the veggies in a large stock pot.
- To the pot add the vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 45 minutes.
- Add chopped green peppers, minced garlic cloves and tomato paste and boil for 20 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars and place in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- NOTE: To make Sweet & Hot Salsa I removed all of the garlic cloves, reduced the green peppers to 1 1/2 cups & used 1/2 tablespoon ground (cayenne) red pepper instead of the crushed red pepper. Just a few simple changes but the flavor is amazing!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!