Mama's Coke and Rum Wings and Where's the Rum at Dipping Sauce
photo by Chef PotPie
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 30 chicken wings, cleaned and dried (for Sally S...because they are so tasty to eat)
- 2 limes, juice of, large
- 2 cups Coke (for tornadoesthree 'cause she needs a little sugar rush every now and then.)
- 3⁄4 cup coconut rum
- 3 teaspoons caribbean jerk seasoning, Dry Jerk Seasoning (for Cookie dog because she's got layers to her!)
- 3 -4 tablespoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 3 -5 tablespoons coconut rum
- 1 medium cucumber, diced small (for charmie..because she likes the color green)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (for Michelle Berteig becuase it's cool and tart like her)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (For Boomette1 because she likes the taste and smell of limes)
- 1 tablespoon coconut rum (for NoraMarie, because she likes the taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (for Lori in Canada 'cause she's been told she seasons well)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (for Shawna Landers because she's Spppicy!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic (for bigbadbrenda because it gives you a lift)
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped for garnish (for bmxmomto4 because she always adds a little bit of color!)
- In a bowl add all marinade ingredients juice of two limes, 2 cups coke, 3/4 cup coconut rum 3 teaspoons of jerk seasoning and combine with a whisk.
- In a large container put in in wings and pour marinade over them and seal the container with a lid or wrap in in plastic wrap.
- Wings should Marinate over night for best flavor.
- To make Rub: Combine 3-4 Tablespoons Seasoning and 3-5 Tablespoons Coconut rum until the mixture has a loose paste like mixture but can still stick to your wings. You may need more rum depending on your preferences ;).
- Get your grill hot and ready for your wings.
- Lay the wings out on the grill evenly spaced and not touching each other, if your grill isn't big enough for all 30 wings. Cook them in two batches.
- Since the cooking time is different for each grill, in the first fifteen minutes check for the heat of your grill and how your wings are responding to the heat and whether you'll need to adjust the heat or not.
- Flip wings after 15 minutes and apply rub to the wings sparingly, the jerk seasoning is very hot in spice. Let wings cook for another 15 minutes and flip and apply rub sparingly.
- Repeat process until wings are done about an hour total process, depending on your home grill it could take a longer or shorter period of time.
- To Make Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients together and refrigerate until cold.Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made these Sunday and absolutely loved them! The sweetness of the coconut rum came through in the wings and the spice was perfect! I doubled the sauce and quadrupled the rum in it. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY! I can't wait for lunch today when I am having the left overs! Thanks for such a great and fun recipe!
My mother is not big at all on chicken wings (odd, I know!) So I used chicken breasts so that she could enjoy these too. I went on the lighter side with the rub since some people here are afraid of heat too! The marinade was great! I absolutly loved the flavor the rum gave the chicken, just perfect! Also the dip was great. The left over dip made a great spread for sandwhichs with the left over sliced chicken once I added a little more cucumbers to the mix. Love this recipe, cant wait to try it with wings!
see 9 more reviews