Mama D's Stuffed Pepper Soup
Another one of my favorite comfort foods, in the form of a soup that warms both the body and soul. It's easy to make, budget friendly, as well as kid friendly. Add in some jalapenos and some ground cayenne pepper to make into a feisty Stuffed Hot Pepper Soup. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 (46 ounce) cans tomato juice
- 2 (28 ounce) cans petite tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- fresh ground pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- Brown ground beef in skillet, should take about 5-7 minutes. Drain fat. Place in soup pot.
- Add tomato juice, diced tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic to soup pot.
- Season with Italian seasoning, fennel seed, sugar, salt, fresh ground pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat to boil, then reduce to simmer. Simmer for approximately an hour or until peppers reach desired doneness.
- Add cooked rice and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Comfort food at it's finest! DH and I enjoyed this on a snowy Feb. evening with a glass of good red wine and hot crusty bread. I followed the directions with only 2 minor changes. Added a yellow pepper along with the others for color and after browning the meat and onions - threw everything into the crock-pot and cooked on high for 4 hours, adding the cooked rice in the last 10 minutes as instructed. I did add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and though we like things spicy I propably over did that slightly and next time I'd only use 1/2 teaspoon. The taste was warm, fresh and as stated comforting. A great recipe that's easy to put together. Made for Spring PAC 2011Reply