Make-Two Macaroni and Cheese
photo by chia2160
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Whisk in flour, bouillon and dry mustard. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bouillon dissolves and mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Stir in macaroni. Turn into two lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dishes. Top each with one cup shredded cheese. Bake one dish 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Cover second dish tightly with aluminum foil; freeze.
- To bake frozen macaroni and cheese: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake frozen casserole uncovered one hour or until bubbly and hot in center. (These are the directions in the original recipe; however, I usually bake covered so it won't dry out, then uncover at end to crisp up the top. If you choose to bake covered, allow for extra baking time.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a really good macaroni and cheese! I was cleaning out the fridge and added 4 slices of American Cheese and used mushroom soup base instead of chicken. It seemed a bit bland, so I added 1 teaspoon of onion powder. For the top, I had some left-over Mexican blend cheese and threw that on along with the 1 cup reserved cheddar. I melted two tablespoons of butter and tossed that with 1/2 cup of homemade bread crumbs and sprinkled that over all. I covered for the first 15 minutes and uncovered for the last 10. I did reduce my oven to 350 as I thought 375 was a bit too hot. LonghornMama, thank you for a great recipe! I knew if it came from the Houston Chronicle and was approved by you, it was going to be a winner!