Make-Ahead Mashed/Smashed Potatoes
photo by Dienia B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 4 -5 lbs potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
Garlic or Roasted Garlic Variation
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced (roasting first can also be delicious)
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh rosemary or 1 -2 tablespoon dried rosemary
Garlic and Herb Variation
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Scrub the potatoes while bringing a large pot of water to a boil on the stove. If you don't like the skins in your mashed potatoes, you can also peel them at this point if you would like.
- Add potatoes and simmer 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and ready to be mashed.
- Mash the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream cheese and sour cream and mix well.
- Sprinkle with any other herbs, spices, or seasonings you like.
- Final decision-- if you like your potatoes more on the smashed/chunky side, enjoy. If you want them smooth and completely mashed, then use mixer to whip them to your desired consistency.
- When ready, bring to room temperature, tent with foil, and reheat in 350-375 degree oven until hot, about 40 minutes. Reportedly, it can also be reheated in microwave or crockpot, but we have only ever tried it in the oven, so if you use another method, would love to hear how it works out.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good mashed potatoes : didnt make them ahead, had them there and then! There are, however, leftovers, which DH will heat as instructed. I added dillweed to ours, since I had it and we like it :) This teamed very well with a chicken pot pie for a delicious dinner!!! This recipe was made and enjoyed for International Agents of QUEST, USA Southern cooking :)
These potatoes were excellent Starry. We ate them as soon as they were mashed they didn't even make it to the oven. They were so good. I went with a fresh garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh parsley, coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper version. I can't wait to make these again. Made for Culinary Quest - Southern USA - for the Suitcase Gourmets.
see 10 more reviews