Main Dish Colcannon (Cabbage, Potatoes and Sausages)
photo by Dantana
- Ready In:
- 4 -6 irish banger sausages
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 -6 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 whole cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 3 -8 ounces of your favorite ale
- heavy cream
- white pepper
- In large skillet or dutch oven, brown the sausages in the butter.
- Remove sausages.
- Add potatoes and onions to drippings in pan and stir to coat.
- Add cabbage and parsley and mix well.
- Place sausages on top of mixture.
- Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer, stirring occasionally until potatoes and cabbage are soft.
- Add ale as needed to keep colcannon moist. (yes, you can drink what you don't use for cooking!).
- As soon as the potatoes and cabbage are soft, remove the sausages, take a deep breath and add the Heavy Cream to the mixture until it resembles mashed potatoes.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Replace the sausages and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I enjoyed this delicious and hearty recipe as a belated St. Patty's day meal. I had some breakfast sausage on hand and it was delicious with that but I can see it being even better with real bangers. I forgot parsley at the store and would recommend not leaving it out as I found myself wishing for that bit of herb presence.
Great recipe! I love the fact that this is a main-dish meal, and a one-pan meal at that. Very quick and easy, with minimal clean-up. I used White Rose Potatoes and Original Brown 'N Serve sausages, as that is what was on hand, and it was very tasty. Thank you for sharing your grandmother's recipe. Made for Herb of the Month which is Parsley.
What an awesome recipe! It gets a bit watery if you add the full 8oz of beer recommended. As one reviewer commented, the parsley is important. The 'mash' got a little wet so I'd reduce some liquid next time, but a great recipe when you want some real bangers and mash! Thanks for a great recipe! We will be making this again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
COVID found us on the east coast so our travels came to a halt. We are now planted in Watervliet, NY. Kind of enjoying it. Back to cooking in an updated kitchen and having all my toys. Good times!