Magic Prime Rib Recipe
This recipe for Prime Rib works every time, thus the word "magic." I have relied on it for holiday dinners and special occasion meals for over 25 years. It really gives the chef a lot of wiggle room to make the rest of the meal. It does take 2 1/2 hours of oven time. And it does work! I have the butcher debone then retie it for the best flavor. I have had good luck with this method of cooking for many years with 3-5 pound roasts, but several chefs here at Zaar have said that the roast should be 5-7 plus. Just always go to the butcher and order Prime or get Choice. None of this "Select" or "Blue Ribbon" stuff. If you're spending the money for a prime rib roast, please don't go for these cheap and flavorless grades of meat. We learned this the hard way and should have known better, Hubby's Daddy was a butcher. And they are a dying breed. I hope you enjoy this cooking method and the results!
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 1 prime rib roast, 5-7 pounds (or more)
- 2 tablespoons seasoning, your choice, I use Johnny's
- Cooking time = 2 1/2 hours EXACTLY.
- Bring roast to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season the roast to your taste, (I use Johnny's Dock), place on rack and place in preheated oven.
- Cook for exactly 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR AT ANY TIME DURING THE ENTIRE COOKING PROCESS!
- Turn oven OFF for exactly 1 hour.
- Then turn oven on at 400 F for half an hour.
- Let roast stand for 15 minutes or so to let juices redistribute before carving. Roast will be juicy and pink without failure. The size of the roast doesn't matter. It works!