Magic Carrot Cake
photo by MissKariss303
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 cup mashed bananas or 2 bananas
- 1⁄2 cup no-sugar-added applesauce
- 3 cups grated carrots or 7 -8 medium carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) Butter a 9"x13" pan then sprinkle with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and sea salt. Set aside.
- Put dates into food processor with 1 tsp water and process into a chunky paste.
- In a large bowl, mix the dates with melted butter and 2 tsp vanilla. Add mashed bananas and grated carrots. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Add yogurt and honey. Add raisins and walnuts if desired.
- Fold in flour mixture a third at a time, combining just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in preheated oven. Try not to peek too much or take out early or the middle may fall.
- For Maple & Cream Cheese Frosting: Whisk together cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla, maple syrup, softened butter, powdered sugar until fluffy and creamy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!