Magdalenas - Spanish Cakes
photo by HokiesMom
- Ready In:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 2⁄3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 lemon, Zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Centigrade). Measure 1/4 cup sugar into small bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs with 3/4 cup sugar until the mixture is light.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter on medium on the stove top. Or, melt it in the microwave. Make sure that the butter cools slightly and is not bubbling. As you continue to beat the egg mixture, slowly pour in the melted butter, making sure to mix thoroughly. Stir in the lemon zest, vanilla, and milk.
- Measure out the flour into a separate bowl. Add the baking powder to the flour and mix thoroughly.
- While stirring the egg mixture, add in the flour mixture. Continue to stir until all ingredients are mixed well. The batter will be very thick.
- Place paper liners in to cupcake pan. Use a large serving spoon to spoon batter into pan, filling each one half full. Batter will more than double in size when baked. Use a teaspoon to sprinkle each magdalena with a bit of the reserved sugar.
- Place pans on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until magdalenas have turned a golden color. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before taking out of the pan to cool further.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This made for a very nice treat that I took into work. Everyone just devoured these little goodies. I wish I would have saved a couple of them for my breakfast tomorrow. There were so easy to throw together with ingredients I always have on hand. Unfortunately I left my digital camera at my son's house and am unable to post a picture at this time. The next time I make these I will post a picture. Made for ZWT5.
see 5 more reviews