Mae Mortensen's Butter Pecan Cookies
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground pecans
- additional sugar
- Cream the butter and margarine. Gradually add 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add the water and vanilla, beating well. Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture, beating well. Stir in ground pecans.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten the balls to 1/4 inch thickness with the palm of your hand. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly on the cookie sheet.
- Roll cookies in additional sugar to coat. Let cool completely on wire racks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I normally save shortbread cookies for Christmas because I just can't resist them and they are so rich. However, I have yet to try a cookie recipe from this chef that wasn't a 5 star winner so I just had to go for these. I made a half amount and them made the cookies bigger than ask for and got 18, melt in your mouth, wonders. Love the ground pecans and will make these again using hazelnuts. Used Splenda for the sugar without adding any extra or rolling in sugar after baking. I love them with the minor sweetness that really allows the pecan flavor to shine. As a side note these may be the fastest to make cookies I've ever made! :D