Madhur Jaffrey's Leftover Rice With Mushrooms
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 9 mushrooms, chopped into a small dice
- 1 hot green chili pepper, thinly sliced (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3⁄4 cup broth (vegetarian or chicked or beef broth)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions; saute for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to saute 3 to 4 minutes with an occasional stir.
- Add in the sliced chili, and after a minute add the cumin, the coriander and the rice, cook on low about 5 minutes.
- If using cold rice right from the fridge, you may need more broth and more cooking time.
- Add salt to taste, and serve with a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro, if you wish; a Cucumber Raita alongside is good with this dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a wooded hillside area of Los Angeles where it feels like being out in the country. I grew up in Rhode Island, and came to LA after graduating from URI. I recently retired from my job as an environmental specialist. So now I have time to collect internet recipes. My hobbies & interests are aquatics, shell collecting, my cats, feeding stray cats, home improvement projects and cooking. I love to travel and, years ago, lived in Mexico for several months. My favorite cookbooks are the ones written by Diana Kennedy; they are all great; and I have them all, some signed by her when I was enrolled in her cooking classes. I have a lot of cookbooks; some of my other fave authors and their books are: Madhur Jaffrey (especially World Vegetarian, World of East Vegetarian Cooking and A Taste of the Far East), Faye Levy, Martha Rose Shulman (especially Mediterranean Light, Provencal Light and Mexican Light) and Paula Wolfert.