Machine's Beef Stroganoff
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (coarse ground, stew meat, steak, pretty much anything)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup or 1 can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, etc
- 1 bag egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, brown the meat and onion.
- Chili or other ground beef can be broken up as it cooks, otherwise cut the meat into cubes or strips half an inch thick or so.
- Drain it when browned.
- While the meat is browning, boil a pot of water for the noodles. Ideally, you want the water to boil just after the meat is browned.
- Also while the meat is browning, cut up the cream cheese so it will melt easier. As soon as the meat is in the strainer to drain, put the cream cheese into the Dutch oven over medium heat to melt.
- Once it melts acceptably (don't wait for it to become liquid, just soft enough that it'll mix in), add the other ingredients except the noodles.
- Stir thoroughly until it forms a horrible-looking goop. (If it's an awful shade of brown or gray, don't worry-- that's what it always looks like.)
- Add Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and any other seasoning to taste. (I usually go wild with the Worcestershire, but it's up to you.)
- When the water comes to a boil, throw in the noodles and prepare as per the package.
- Add the meat to the sauce at this time as well.
- Once the noodles are done, dish it up like spaghetti.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Holy Mother of Tasty Deliciousness! The first time I made this, people went nuts over how rich and delicious it came out. I've made a couple of tiny notes on my printed copy like the use of Worshtershire sauce when browning the meat and NEVER skimp or try low fat cream cheese, but otherwise this is ... I really don't have a word for it. Thank you, Larz!