Sweet Onion Macaroni Salad
Delicious macaroni salad that everyone loves! My grandma's recipe.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil (optional)
- 2 -3 eggs
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped (vidalia is best)
- 1 -2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 - 1⁄2 cup bread and butter pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise (or more if you like)
- Cook 2 cups of macaroni according to the directions on the package. I add about 1 teaspoon cooking oil and some salt to keep macaroni from sticking together.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in another pan hardboil 2 or 3 eggs (sometimes I just rinse the eggs and put them in with the macaroni).
- Drain the cooked macaroni, and put in large bowl.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs, chop them up and add to macaroni. Also add the onion, celery and pickles. To keep the macaroni sorta moist, I pour a little bit of the pickle juice in-- about a tablespoon.
- Mix in mustard, celery salt, pepper, and mayo. If it seems too dry, add more mayo until you like the mixture--not soppy but not dry. You will know!
- Chill before serving. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used Coleslaw Dressing from the produce section refrigerated dressings. I also added grapes sliced in half and added diced chicken. Serve over Boston lettuce and sliced heirloom tomato wedges. The chicken I got ready cooked in my supermarket salad bar. Add walnuts if you like. Becomes a full summer dinner!Reply
This turned out rather bland. After a day of in the refigerator, it had more flavor. I was looking forward to the B&B pickled in it, but the flavor of the pickles didn't come through for me. I add some pickle juice to the sauce. Next time I will add more pickle juice, more mustard and more picklesReply