Macaroni Chicken Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 chicken breasts, boiled & shredded (boneless & skinless)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, quartered and juice reserved (Dole)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar sweet pickle relish (Del Monte)
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) jar mayonnaise (Kraft or Best Foods)
- In a pot of boiling water, cook chicken breasts until done. Drain from pot and let cool. Shred chicken. Set aside.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook elbow macaroni to al dente or desired doneness. Transfer to large colander to drain. Also run cold water over macaroni to stop cooking and cool down. Gently shake colander to drain excess water.
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. I usually layer the ingredients in thirds. For example, I put 1/3 of the macaroni into the bowl. Then I sprinkle 1/3 of the onions, 1/3 of the sweet pickle relish, 1/3 of the pineapple chunks & juice, and 1/3 of the shredded chicken. Then do two more layers of macaroni and ingredients. I do that to ensure even distribution of ingredients.
- After layering the ingredients, add mayo and mix until incorporated. Add salt to taste.
- It's best to refrigerate salad at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to blend. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!