Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon and Tomato
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb shredded gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously butter a 1/12 quart baking dish.
- Add 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs; shake to coat dish evenly.
- Heat large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook pasta until al dente, about 7 minutes.
- Place in large bowl.
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Whisk inflour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add nutmeg; cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk all at once.
- Heat to boil; simmer, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted.
- Add sauce to pasta, mix well.
- Spoon 1/2 mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Add tomatoes and bacon in an even layer.
- Top with remaining macaroni mixture.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the remaining bread crumbs with olive oil in small bowl.
- Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 45 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!