Macaroni and Cheese....and Veggies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb broccoli, but into flowerettes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large bowl, toss the macaroni with the oil.
- Cook the broccoli with 1 teaspoons salt in boiling water for 2 minutes then drain well and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add broccoli and the spinach to the macaroni.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat, add onion and saute under tender.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stirring until blended.
- Gradually add in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups cheese, 1/2 teaspoons salt, cream pepper and nutmeg. Stir until cheese melts.
- Fold this sauce into the macaroni then spoon everything into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"<p>Life often interupts our comfortable routines in very unexpected ways and in the past three years I've certainly faced some challenges. As a health nut who ate mostly vegetarian I was beyond shocked to discover that I was diabetic. <img title=Yell src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /> I shouted and rebelled and cried. But the good news is that I can control my glucose levels simply by eating very low carb. What a complete turn around it was to pass up all my high carb vegetarian foods like grains, and veggies and embrace meat! <img title=Surprised src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-surprised.gif border=0 alt=Surprised /> I've adjusted to this limited diet and thanks to Zaar can eat a nice variety of healthful meals.</p> <p> The next challenge was a freakish fall I took while in New York with my daughter that left me paralyzed and in much pain. I thank God that I am so much better today after more than two years recovery, with total mobility and just some minor pain in my arms and hands. Cooking and communicating here was not really on my priority list. But, I am back in action and ready to cook, take photos, and enjoy this wonderful community of friends.<img title=Laughing src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif border=0 alt=Laughing /></p> <p>My husband and I continue to enjoy our grandchildren and being closely involved with their day to day activities. I am also the proud owner of a sweet grey and white cat who came to my door as a little kitten 6 months ago. Her name is Bonny and you can read her story here: <a href=http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg target=_blank>http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ps/3/g7hopubcqxji7ub0y6fg</a>.</p> <p> When I have time for myself, I love to do all things artistic...drawing, pastels, paper craft, scrapbooking, and most recently jewelry making. I have set up a website on ETSY ( shown on this page by my website)and you can go there and see my creations.<img title=Cool src=../tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/houdini6.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /></p>"
Join The Conversation