Macaroni and Blue Cheese
photo by Marg CaymanDesigns
- Ready In:
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives, to taste
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 350* and butter 13x9 glass baking dish.
- Cook pasta (about 8 min) and drain.
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium to low heat, then add flour and cook 1 minute stirring constantly (do not allow to brown).
- Gradually whisk in cream and milk and simmer until mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally (about 3 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low and add grated cheddar cheese and only 1 cup blue cheese.
- Whisk about 2 minutes or when cheese starts to melt, then flavor with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta to sauce, stirring to coat, and transfer mixture to 13x9 dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup blue cheese and bake about 25 minutes or until sauce begins to bubble.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve- enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very rich & tasty is right! This is some of the best "comfort food" I have tasted in a long time & I found myself searching for the 10* rating again! I made a half recipe just as written except I did add about 1/4 cup extra milk when it appeared the mixture might be too dry when baked & it was *PERFECT* We were hungry & ate heartily, but even a half recipe made more than 4 generous servings. IMO this generously serves at least 8 & surely is part of the reason the Nutrition Facts are startling. TY for sharing this sensational taste treat w/us. :-)