Mac-N-Cheese for Grown-Ups
- Ready In:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 3/4 stick -plus more for greasing
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups creme fraiche
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fleur de sel, pluse more to taste
- 3 3⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 3⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shreeded
- white pepper, to taste
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta, cooked al dente and cooled in ice water and drained
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Butter 3-4 quart square baking dish.
- In 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.
- Stir in flour, cook, stirring, 1 minuted. Add bay leaf.
- Slowly whisk in milk until smooth.
- Simmer, whisking occasionally, 14-16 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Whisk in creme fraiche and 1 1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel; bring to simmer.
- Off heat, stir in 1 1/2 cups each mozzarella and cheedar.
- Season with Fleur de sel and white pepper.
- In large bowl, combine pasta and cheese sauce.
- Stir in 2 cups mozzarella.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and cheddar, then with bread crumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Join The Conversation