Mac and Cheese
photo by Muffin Goddess
- Ready In:
- Cook Pasta 1 to 2 minutes shy of packaged directions.
- In the meantime, Melt butter and saute onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add Flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add milk and stir/whisk till it is combined in mixture.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, let simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Shred all cheese and combine.
- Add in 6 cups of cheeses to milk and stir until melted.
- Combined cheese sauce with pasta and transfer to a baking dish.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese and put under broiler till the top is crusty and brown.
- If you want a true baked mac and cheese, bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. And for a stove top version serve with out baking.
- For a step by step video on how to make this recipe search "Nikki Dinki Mac and cheese" on youtube. I show you every step!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Super-cheesy and delicious! I was trying to make this using only the cheeses I had on hand, so I had to make a couple of subs: Manchego in place of the gruyere, and mozzarella in place of the parm. Manchego and gruyere are pretty similar in taste and texture, and the mozzarella was because I was afraid that the shaker-can parm I had would make this gritty. I think the mozzarella made the cheese sauce kind of stringy, but in a melty way. Not a bad thing, but it did make it a little hard to mix into the pasta. I also had a bit of shallot that I needed to use up, so I added it to the onion and garlic. This was much more sophisticated than the usual mac and cheese, with a more complex flavor. I could see this being a great base for lobster mac and cheese, or even with some chopped oil-packed sundried tomatoes mixed in. Good stuff, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Fall '12