- Ready In:
2 1/2 cups
- 1 cup corn or 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 15 pieces fresh ginger, smashed (quarter-size slices)
- 2 tablespoons szechwan pepper
- 2 tablespoons red chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a heavy, non-aluminum 1 1/2-quart saucepan.
- Rest a deep-fry thermometer on the rim of the pot. Over moderately low heat, bring the mixture to a bubbly 225 degrees F, stirring occasionally.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes, checking to ensure the temperature does not rise.
- Remove from the heat and let stand until cool or overnight.
- Strain the oil without pressing on the solids; then, discard the solids.
- Store the oil in an impeccably clean glass jar at cool room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Married mother of twins. I very seldom ever use recipes as they are written, always modifying and adjusting them. Many times I will take three or four different recipes and come up with a new recipe based on those. <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/KiwiDutch/3chefstag1.jpg">