Ma Fern's Squash Casserole
photo by AuntJenny
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 3 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash (small squash, sliced ~ can include 1 or 2 sliced small zucchini for color ~ optional)
- 3 yellow onions (medium sized onions, cut into small dice)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 3 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Heat bacon fat over medium-high heat, in a large iron skillet. Add squash, onions, water, salt and pepper ~ saute uncovered until squash is tender and water/squash juices have evaporated, stirring occasionally. Slight browning of the squash is okay, but be careful that it doesn't scorch!
- Remove from heat ~ cool for 15-20 minutes.
- NOTE: If you are IMPATIENT (like my daughter), and cannot wait until the squash has cooked dry, and the onions have developed a caramelized flavor, then DRAIN the sauteed squash in a colander!
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add beaten eggs and shredded cheese to squash, stirring quickly to combine.
- Pour into a 13x9 Pyrex casserole sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until set ~ should be browned lightly on the bottom. Casserole will firm-up upon cooling. Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fabulous! I also grew up in Alabama, and this is just perfect! I used just yellow squash and onion, and loved it this way.....yes, it might be more visibly appealing with other colors, but I wanted to savor the wonderful flavor of the yellow squash! I'll be making this again and again! Thanks KUW! Made for Photo Tag.
Awesome! I really do not like cream or milk in casseroles, so this recipe is a real keeper for me. The squash flavor really comes through when there's so few other ingredients- I love it. Not too cheesy, but I enjoyed that as well. I actually cut the recipe down to four servings, and baked these in individual dishes. It worked nicely. [Made & Reviewed for PRMR]