Luscious Lemon Coconut Meringue Squares
photo by Swan Valley Tammi
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 cups coconut
- Combine the filling ingredients, cook, stirring constantly until thick and set aside.
- For the crust, cream butter, add brown sugar and beat well.
- Blend in the flour and press into the bottom of an ungreased 9" square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then spread with cooled filling.
- For topping, beat egg whites, gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in 2 cups coconut and cover lemon filling with the topping.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes longer or until browned.
- Cool and cut into squares.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm not sure it's any easier than pie, but it's certainly just as tasty. Very tart, just like it should be. A little gooey, too, but not so much that the squares don't stay intact. I'd recommend folding the sugar into the beaten egg whites along with the coconut rather than adding while beating. It's happened to me more than once that the egg whites just don't stiffen with the sugar already added, no matter how gradually.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in upstate New York. I am retired and now have time to enjoy my children, my grandchildren and great grandchildren.