Ludlat Dort (Czech Sour Cherry Torte)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup sour cherry, from can drained
- rum (to cover cherries)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 8 egg whites
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
- 2 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1 bittersweet chocolate square
- chocolate frosting
- Cover the cherries with rum and allow to soak overnight.
- Beat butter, sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy. Add cocoa powder and mix well. Add flour gradually. Beat egg whites stiff and fold into cocoa mixture.
- Pour into two layer pans and bake in 300F oven for 45 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on rack.
- In double boiler, bring cream and chocolate squares to melting point stirring continuously. When chocolate is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool completely. It will beat better if you refrigerate it for a time. Beat until very smooth and thick.
- Spread one cake layer with thin layer of chocolate frosting and top with drained cherries. Place second layer atop first layer and cover rest of cake with remaining chocolate frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!