Luby's Cafeteria's Spanish Cole Slaw
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 medium green cabbage, shredded (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced dill pickle
- 1⁄2 cup short thin strips green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup coarsley chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onions with top
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell peppers or 1 tablespoon pimentos
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup pickle juice (juice from jar of pickles)
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, pickles, green bell pepper, parsley, green onions, carrots and red pepper.
- For dressing, combine water, pickle juice, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk until well blended.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, tossing lightly serveral times.
- ~NOTE~To shredded cabbage the Luby's way (for slaw that is easy to eat) cut cabbage in half lengthwise and remove core.
- Cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices into 2-inch lengths.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this tonight, but I was tired and accidentally left out the sugar. I loved it anyway. My husband liked it too except for the green peppers. Next time I’ll leave out the sugar and green peppers. I’ll just put in more dill pickles to make up for it! I did use preshredded packaged slaw with the carrots already in it along with a little shredded red cabbage. The package was 14 ounces, so I halved all the other ingredients. Oh yes, I also used white wine vinegar, and it was fine. Thank you for posting this recipe. I have always loved this slaw at Luby’s, but they rarely have it anymore.
For a potluck or barbeque can't do better. My favorite cole slaw. Luby's generally does excellet cafeteria food and this is one of their best. Dozens of people have asked for the recipe and it really can be prepared a day ahead. My wife who usually does not like cole slaw loves this one. Quick to make with a food processor slicer.