- Ready In:
- large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 "- 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup grated cheese (Gruyre, Appenzeller, Raclette, or something aged and a bit stinky)
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F Set a large pot of salted water (approx. 5 liters) to boil.
- Heat butter/oil over medium-low heat in a frying pan. Add onions and fry them until golden brown.
- Add penne and potatoes to the salted water. Stir to make sure pasta doesn’t stick together. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain penne and potatoes.
- Combine milk/cream with salt and pepper.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, place 1/3 of the penne-potatoes, sprinkle with 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Make another layer with 1/3 of the penne-potatoes, sprinkle with the other 1/2 of the grated cheese.
- Top with the remaining 1/3 of the penne-potatoes.
- Pour the seasoned milk/cream evenly over the top.
- Spread the browned onions on top.
- Bake covered for 10-15 minutes until steaming hot and cheese is melted. Serve with warmed applesauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!