Low Fat/ Low Sugar Fruitcake
- Ready In:
- 11hrs 10mins
1 Fruit Cake
- 1 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup glace cherries
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup white lily self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Mix sultanas, raisins, cherries, brandy, water and soak overnight.
- Mix pumpkin, eggs, applice juice, and milk in a bowl.
- Add soaked fruit, nuts, rinds and spices, then flours and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon as you add the flours.
- Spoon into a lightly greased tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down to 180 degrees C and cook until baked through (approximately 1 hour).
- Cool on a cake wire.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live on the east coast of Australia. I am a proud descendant of two Aboriginal tribes. <br /><br />I spent my early childhood in Western Queensland and the Northern Territory. My mother was employed as a cook on various cattle and sheep stations. Through my mother I learnt to love and enjoy cooking fresh food. <br /><br />Last September, 2003, I had the pleasure of meeting JenT, Jewelies, their respective DHs and Jewelies? gorgeous daughter who was a treat to meet. One day, I hope I can go to New Zealand to visit JenT?s homeland. <br /><br />I enjoy reading cookbooks for cover to cover. My goal is to cook all the recipes I have collected in my Zaar cookbook.</p>