Low-Fat Holiday Sugar Cookies With Icing That Hardens
photo by I Cant Believe Its
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons margarine (I use Light Becel Non-Hydrogenated)
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 3⁄8 teaspoons skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla (additional to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat margarine and sugar until well mixed, adding egg white and vanilla as you go.
- Whisk baking powder, flour, tartar, and salt in another bowl. Mix bit-by-bit into egg mixture, not adding any more if the dough is too thick.
- Knead dough 3-5 times on heavily floured surface until smooth and at your desired consistency.
- Roll dough out on the heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin, and cut shapes out. Place them on a cookie sheet, covered in parchment paper. (Don't sub the parchment paper for oil, butter, or cooking spray. Bottoms will crisp).
- Bake in oven for 7-10 minutes until tops of cookies have firmed, checking every few minutes to make sure they don’t brown (these are best light and soft).
- Take out of oven and place on cooling rack.
- While cooling, mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla until shiny.
- Add food colouring to icing if you wish, and ice the cookies once they have cooled. ENJOY!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!