Low-Fat Gorgonzola-White Bean Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth, or vegetable
- 1 leek, cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 cup)
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 ounce gorgonzola, crumbled
- Cook onion, celery and carrot in 2 tablespoons broth for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining broth, leek and beans. Heat to boiling.
- Boil 2 minutes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. (Add more broth during cooking if liquid does not cover beans.)
- Stir milk into soup.
- Place 1 cup of the soup in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high speed about 30 seconds or until uniform consistency.
- Stir blended mixture into remaining soup mixture. Stir in cheese until melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This soup is pretty good! I have to admit I tinkered with the recipe a little, and used canned beans. I think that may have reduced the flavorfulness of the soup overall, but I was in a hurry. That said, this soup comes together pretty easily and is pretty tasty. It's a little bland for my taste, which is why I didn't give it a full 5 stars. Still a really nice treat on a day with 2 degree weather!!Reply
This soup is comforting and satisfying and so easy to make. I've made it with dried beans and leeks and also with canned beans (2 cups) and no leeks, just onions, carrots and celery. When using canned beans, it only needs to cook for 20 minutes. The soup tastes best with leeks but holds its own without. I've used English Stilton instead of gorgonzola, same result--great taste! This recipe is a standard in my kitchen. Thanks, chef dancer.Reply