Low Fat California Saag
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups yogurt, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 -3 hot red pepper, chopped
- 1 8 ounces shrimp or (12 ounce) can chickpeas
- Add vegetable oil to hot pan.
- If using meat, brown the meat now and remove.
- Add diced onions and salt to hot pan. Cook over medium heat until translucent, maybe 3 minutes.
- Add curry powder and 1/2 cup yogurt. Boost heat to high. Yogurt will quickly break-down, then it will combine with the oil, onions and curry powder. Cook until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium-high.
- Add red peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach and cook until warm.
- Combine corn starch and 1/2 cup water. Mix thoroughly.
- Add corn starch slurry to pan. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Check seasoning. It should be hotter than you'd like, since the rest of the yogurt will absorb quite a bit of heat. You may also want to add more curry powder,.
- Check thickness. Add water if too thick, or boost heat to medium and reduce if too thin.
- If you're using meat, add it, and any juices that have collected, into the pan.
- Add the rest of the yogurt and mix in well. Check seasoning again. Remove from heat.
- Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!