Low-fat Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Ready In:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium apple, peeled,cored and chopped
- Heat oven to 375.
- Spray only the bottoms of 12 medium muffins cups with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat milk, yogurt, egg whites, egg, vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet until just moist.
- Stir in apple.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this recipe, as described, made 12 servings, very tasty... think I might have put a bit more cinnamon in but I adore cinnamon so I guess thats to each persons taste! Thanks for a lovely recipe... I am a weight watcher so it was great to get a low fat recipe which was actually enjoyable!
We thought these were quite good. I did make one small change--I used 3/4 c oatmeal (soaked in the milk for a few minutes) and 3/4 c ap flour. I just like the texture and fiber you get from oatmeal. I also left the peel on the apple for fiber. Finally, I sprinkled the tops with a very little bit of cinnamon sugar after they came out of the oven. These are not super sweet, but were just sweet enough for our tastes. DH ate 7, so they must be a keeper :). Thanks, Chris!
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the Kansas City area and have many hobbies including cooking, reading and spending time with my husband and two children who are very active in sports now. I also have an eBay business which is a fun hobby that makes a little extra money! My interest in cooking focuses on making healthy dishes that are more satisfying than the higher fat and higher sugar versions. If I had a month off with no responsibilities, I would spend it at a luxury spa. <br /> <br /></p>