Low Carb Sweet and Sour Chicken
photo by Meghan at Food.com
- Ready In:
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 lb boneless chicken, cut up
- 1 cup white onion (you can leave the chunks big so you can pick them out)
- 12 ounces diet orange soda (Diet Rite Tangerine works great)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- black pepper, to taste
- Brown chicken and onions in a non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- When chicken is brown, add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Uncover and reduce liquid until it makes a syrupy sauce.
- A little arrowroot powder may be added to thicken the sauce, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this tonight, and my mother and I both think next time we would cut back the cayenne. I think we'll also add some green bell peppers next time! Excellent flavor, even though it ended up a little hot for us. We didn't have any issues with the sauce thickening, let it sit on the stove top about 30 or 40 minutes and it thickened up really well.
Made this tonight. I wish the thickener had been mentioned in the ingredient list, I got tired of waiting and threw it over some shirataki noodles. Came out like a soup. Decent flavor, but a little too zesty for my tastes. I'm going to try a little less cayenne and substitute some bell pepper chunks for some of the onion next time.