Low Carb Spinach-Cheese "bread"
photo by Pdorf
- Ready In:
- Thaw spinach, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Place the dry spinach in a bowl and break up into small clumps.
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet or pan with parchment paper, or spray well with non-stick spray.
- Add remaining ingredients to spinach and stir to break up the spinach into small pieces and combine the ingredients well.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until dry and turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven, loosen from parchment paper, let cool. Cut into desired serving sized pieces.
- I usually use a cookie sheet that measures 10x13, the batter spreads out to about 1/4 inch in this pan. When it is cooked it makes a thickish wrapper that can be rolled up around whatever ingredients. You can use a smaller pan to have thicker "bread" if desired.
- Keeps well in a plastic bag for a couple of days. I have never had enough to last longer than that, it usually gets eaten by the second day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Just made this but I replaced the mozzarella cheese with 1/2 freshly grated sharp cheddar and 1/2 grated parmesan (not the stuff from the can) in addition to the stuff in the can. I also added sun dried tomatoes. When I first took it off the parchment paper, I let it cool on a rack and then cut it into four squares, all the while I was a bit apprehensive. Oh. My. God. I just had a bacon, lettuce and turkey sandwich on it. Seriously, it tasted like italian focaccia bread!! This is my new go-to bread!! I found a similar recipe (without spinach) for pizza on this site that was nowhere in the same galaxy as this!! This is NOT eggy at all. Bet if you got sick of spinach you could use grated eggplant or summer squash too! Wonder what would happen if you put a little baking powder and a scoop of either whey protein isolate or almond flour in? Tell you what, I'll try it this week and let you know. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!!
Thank you! I LOVE this recipe and it makes it easier to stay on my low carb program when the bread crave gets strong! I made it very thin. Next time I would not add any aditional salt. I also have used it like a pizza crust. Let it get a little crunchy and then I added low carb Alfredo sauce, shredded grilled chicken breast, mushrooms and topped with grated cheese. Tossed it under the broiler real quick and it was wonderful. I could see spreading it even thinner and letting it dry out to a type of crunchy cracker. Love it!
I love this recipe!!! I loved the spinach pizza from Ci's Ci's pizza, unfortunately , the one in my town closed down. I pretty much stay on a low carb diet. I made this recipe as written the other night. I used it as the base for my spinach and homemade alfredo pizza. I used leftover ribeye roast sliced thin, mushrooms, and anchovies. To my surprise, my husband loved it. I will try it as wrap, with more veggies. Thanks, so much for posting!!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have loved to cook since I was a child. Several years ago I was diagnosed as gluten-intolerant, and I have been having a great time learning about gluten-free substitutions. <br> <br> <br><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/AussieRecipeSwap.gif>