Low Carb Italian Bake
- Ready In:
- 3 Italian sausages
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 2 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing, brown and drain.
- Layer sausage mixed with 1 cup mozzarella onto bottom of lightly greased quiche pan.
- Thaw and drain spinach.
- In mixing bowl, scramble egg and add ricotta, spinach, garlic, salt & pepper.
- Layer ricotta cheese mixture over sausage mixture.
- Place sliced tomatoes and mushrooms over top and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Let set for 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
Join The Conversation
Update: Last time I had no ricotta or tofu on hand - but I did have feta cheese and sour cream! 8 ounces of each. WOW! The sour cream made it so moist and the feta amped up the flavor big time, so it didn't need ANY salt or excess spices. Just liberal basil and oregano. This will be my new way to make this. Blandness issue solved for those who need a big punch of flavor! Also this last time split the difference and used two veggie sausages and a small eggplant, cut into 1/3 inch discs.
Was really good. I used vegetarian sausages and regular tomatoes, which I will do again. Also steamed fresh spinach from the bag which I prefer. This will be GREAT after I make a few changes/substitutions to kick up the flavor: 3-4 cloves of pressed garlic, instead of powder; more salt and pepper; more tomatoes - 3-4 large and sliced about 1/3 inch thick; same mushrooms but sliced thin; 1 teaspoon (or more?) of Italian seasoning. REALLY GOOD!