Low Carb Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
photo by JackieOhNo!
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups broccoli, blanched
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup onion, wedges
- 6 ounces sirloin steaks, boneless,strips
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon guar gum or 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- -In a 10" skillet or wok heat the oil;add the prepared vegetables.
- -Cook,stirring quickly& frequently until vegies are crisp tender& onions are browned.
- -Stirin the beef strips,cook till desired doneness.
- -Ina small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch; add to the beef mixture& cook stirring constantly until sauce is thickened, 2-3 minutes.
This was a tasty and satisfying meal. I took other reviewer's suggestion and doubled the sauce, which I am so glad that I did. I also made this for a serving for 4. I ended up using frozen broccoli crowns that I steamed in the microwave. I julienned the carrots, as well. I served this with some brown rice, and it was a big hit!
I made this using frozen broccoli florets and added some minced garlic to the veggies as they were being sir fried. I also doubled the sauce and added ground ginger. I left out the salt because there was enought sodium from the soy sauce. Following Chef Ironbox's advice, I added more Splenda to the sauce. I'm glad I doubled the sauce because I think that amount came out perfectly. This dish was delicious and didn't taste like I was eating something that was so good for me. I will be making this often in the future. It's a great way to lessen the carbs in my diet. Thanks for sharing, dave27th.
I made this first for myself as part of my new low carb diet. I used 16 oz. frozen broccoli, doubled the chicken broth and cornstarch and didn't use any sugar/splenda or salt. Served over lentils, thanks to chef Ironbox for the suggestion. TASTY! The second time, I had to make sure to make enough for the kids too! They loved it!
This is a great stir-fry dish! I used fresh broccoli and carrots (which I julienned). I also doubled the sauce as we prefer a lot of sauce with our stir-fry meals. The only omission was the salt at the end as even with a low-sodium soy sauce the addition of more sodium is not necessary. Absolutely an easy and economical dish and the healthiness just scores this as perfect! Made for the All You Can Cook Buffet special in Cooking Games with Friends forum.
This recipe is very good and easy to make. I've used sugar and sugar-substitute in the sauce depending on who was eating carbs. Both are good, but if you're using splenda, I would use a little more than recipe calls for. That gives the sauce a little more flavor. Also, last night I substituted seasoned lentils instead of rice as am on Phase I of S. Beach diet, and it was really good. Gave you the feeling of rice without the carbs.