Lovina Eicher's Homemade Pie Dough
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe comes from The Amish Cook's Baking Book. This recipe has been no fail for me several times. Easy to work with and taste's wonderful.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard or 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the lard and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles course crumbs. (I cheat and use my stand mixer for this, or you could use a food processor -- or a pastry cutter).
- Add the egg, water and vinegar and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Form the dough into a ball and divide into 3 balls.(I refridgerate it at this point, at least 30 mins or longer Form a ball into a disk and roll it out to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim the edges to a 1 inch overhang. Fold the dough under and crimp the edges.
- If not using now, form the remaining 2 balls of dough into disks, place each in a resealable plastic bag, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preparation time includes resting time.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION