Lou's Green Tomato Soup
I garden. At the end of the year I had a lot of green tomatoes whose blossom end had not blushed, thus they will never ripen. This is a recipe I created to use green tomatoes. This year I'll make a lot more and freeze it.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, crushed and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup dry-roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf, whole
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ginger, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, potatoes, broth, chili pepper and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender or food processor (the blender will give you a smoother purée).
- Return the soup to a pot and add the milk and salt.
- Heat to a simmer.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of yogurt, cashews, and cilantro leaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I made this 2 years in a row with my leftover green tomatoes at the end of the growing season and I just forgot to review it. Its absolutely fabulous! It has a nice curry type of flavor with just the right balance of sweet and spicy. I left out the green pepper and the milk and canned it with a little bit of lemon juice added to make sure that no one got botulism. Everyone that I shared it with loved it and asked if I had enough to spare another jar. Thank you so much for sharing such a yummy way to avoid wasting those last green tomatoes before the frost.
Superb! I left out the milk and the yoghurt (though I can see they would be great too, but was concerned about freezing, and about giving to non-dairy friends) and was knocked out anyway, as was my husband. Delicious. Since I made 5 times this quantity - tomatoes aren't ripening in the UK this year - we'll be enjoying this a fair few times the coming months. Thank you!
Outstanding recipe! I followed the ingredients and instructions *exactly* and it was a pleasure to make this soup, and even greater pleasure to eat it! Very flavorful and just the right combination of everything. My husband's a picky eater, especially when it comes to soup and he liked it too, and thought it would also make a good enchilada sauce. Whenever I see green tomatoes I'm going to buy them just so I can make this soup!