Lorac's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
photo by Lorac
- Ready In:
- Remove the core from the cabbage with a paring knife.
- Place the cabbage core side down in a microwave safe dish, add 1 cup of water and microwave on High power for 12 minutes.
- Rinse the cabbage with cold water until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the leaves that come off easily without breaking (you can cut away more of the core if needed to lossen the leaves). Set aside 3 or 4 of the tough dark green outer leaves for later.
- To remove the remaining useable size leaves, place the cabbage back in the microwave and cook on High for 5 minutes, repeat the cooling process.
- For the rice, bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a covered sauce pan, add the rice, stir, cover and remove from the heat.
- Let sit 5 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed, let cool to room temperature (if you can't get "instant rice" you can substitute 3 cups of cooked rice).
- Place rice and ground meats in a large bowl, add salt and pepper to taste.
- With your hands, combine the ingredients using a folding motion.
- Place 1/4 to 1 cup of the meat mixture in the center of a leaf and fold the stem end over the mixture (if the bottom stem is hard, cut a lenghtwise slit in it).
- Fold the sides over the stuffing then the top of the leaf down over the rest.
- Place the rolls seam side down in a baking pan or dish, large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Thin slice the salt pork.
- Pour the diced tomatoes over the cabbage rolls and top with sliced salt pork.
- Place the reserved outer leaves on top and cover tightly with aluminum foil, place pan in the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- After cooking, discard the outer leaves and salt pork, place the rolls in containers, add the pan juices and tomato pieces. Refrigerate or freeze, cabbage rolls are really better when served the next day but if you can't wait - go ahead and eat!
- To serve, reheat the cabbage rolls in the pan juices covered, adding a little water if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/girl/zwaa.gif alt= /> I am an escapee from a previous life of professional employment in various fields of <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/krank/med.gif alt= /> nursing, management and occupational health and saftey. <br /><br />We moved to Arizona 13 years ago after having spent all our life in different areas of MA. <br />I live with Mr. Lorac <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/squeeze.gif alt= /> and 2 black cats <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Mo (Mozart) and <img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/tiercat/2627.gif alt= /> Go (Van Gogh). <br />I love doing creative things - <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/art/1.gif alt= /> oil painting, sewing, crafts, decorating and especially cooking. <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/cooking/3.gif alt= /> <br /><br />I enjoy digging through antique/thrift stores looking for treasures, art of any age, shape or form, <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/music2/11.gif alt= /> classical music, suspense- thriller type fiction and people watching. <br />I have 2 married sons, 2 wonderful daughter-in-laws, 4 <img src=http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/cat.gif alt= /> grandcats and 1 grandson <img src=http://www.smileycollector.com/images/patriotic/itty1.gif alt= /> born on the 4th of July ! <br /><br /><br />I Co-Host <img src=http://bestsmileys.com/talking/9.gif alt= /> the Recipe Request and Eastern European Forums. <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/BtoBHosts.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/BBQParticipantBanner-Final.jpg alt= /> <img src=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/ruemke/food/a.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85476 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC5-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=85474 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC3-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=28467 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC2-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=35084 target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC1-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg alt= /></a> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><img src=http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/linien/27660.gif alt= /></p>